Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bridget Post 5: Knowing

A Chorus of Stones was one of the best and most provocative books I have ever read in my life. Although there were parts that I simply could not wrap my mind around, the construction and insightfulness of it all caused me to view life in a whole new light. Perhaps what I found most fascinating was Griffin's way of weaving information about the cell and the start of all life throughout her text in a manner that almost seems like it doesn't fit until you think about the deeper meaning of it all.

After some heavy thinking, I finally realized that Griffin had used all these different elements (the war, private lives, secrets, gender roles/sexuality, evolution, childhood, and the cell) to weave a web of stories that embrace the over all notion that history intersects with self on a biological/molecular level, and that reality is as much environmental as it is social and political. The fact that a person could even think on such a level to make such a profound connection is mind-boggling to me, yet once this information was placed in front of me I do feel as if I have always known it. It wasn't as surprising as I thought it would be because it made SENSE!


“I am beginning to believe we know everything, that all history including the history of each family, is a part of us, such that when we hear any secret revealed… our lives are made suddenly clearer to us, as the unnatural heaviness of the unspoken truth is dispersed.”
-Susan Griffin

I really don't need to say much about the quote above, it pretty much speaks for itself, but I have included because it is the one that hit me the hardest. I feel like because of our molecular connections, we do actually know everything before we really know it. I mean the simple fact that we all are humans, biologically made up of the same basic things has to be what connects us to one another. Why else would we care or feel any emotions at all when something terrible happens to a stranger? Why else would we want to help the children who are suffering in another country an ocean away from us or be compelled to end the genocide that as fallen on those who either can not or aren't allowed to help themselves? Is it simply human nature or are these tendencies generated or manufactured by the society we live in? Is there even such a thing as human nature?

It should come as no surprise that I am overcome with a surplus of questions after reading this book because that is often the case with any and everything that I have been exposed to in this class. One thing I can say is that I have developed a keen appreciation of artistry and those who think outside the "normal" realm of worldly existence. I love the excitement such controversial topics bring to my own life. I have always been one to want to go left with everyone else is going right so someone like Griffin has really brought out the inner historical/literary rebel in me.

One thing that does worry me though is this idea that such cruel things have taken place in the name of science and warfare. If the stories of the people documented in the book are truths, is there no limit to the lengths that humans will go to for fame, for science, or to simply win? Does that mean I, too, am innately ruthless, or even evil when it comes to the things I want just because I am human?I wonder how many deadly experiments are going on right now as I sit staring at my computer screen on this seemingly ordinary day of my ordinary life. I wonder if there was ever such thing as "ordinary" because for every day we think we are living in "normalcy", something dark, deadly, and extraordinary in probably going on. Things that we probably cant even comprehend. Things that society says we don't even want to know. But.... I say... SCREW SOCIETY because I WANT TO KNOW. After all... You have to KNOW, in order to KNOW.... right?

Ahh... another exciting week in ENG1131... until next time ;-)

No comments: