Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chase's Blog


War of the worlds was very interesting because of the context that we now know after the fact that it happened.  To me, I don't really see it as being believable because that could never happen today.  There are too many different sources of information that would have to all be saying the same thing in order for the general public to believe it.  The saying 'hindsight is 20/20" really fits when thinking about this broadcast.  Listening to it now, it sounds so ridiculous, but if one were to listen to it back then and were to come in during the middle or after the disclaimer, it does sound very real.  To me, Welles' voice played a major role in the scam being so believable.  The tone of his voice sounded legitimate and you could not tell that he was reading something.  When thinking about Welles' voice, I automatically think of Barthes' Grain of Voice.  I don't know if there is a plausible connection but from what I got, the believability of  Welles' voice can go along with some aspect of what Barthes' is saying.  It is hard to put my finger on it but something about Welles' tone makes him sound genuine and like he really is a radio DJ reporting the news.

I think it will be interesting to see how our groups broadcast goes and how everyone sounds on recording, but I look forward to seeing what the musicians that we choose think about Grain of Voice.  

No comments: