Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chase's Blog


This viewing of The Shining was different from my past viewings. As I watched it and thought about all the cinematography techniques that were used, the film changed for me completely.  I agree with Jordan about the camera angles used throughout the movie, without the creative positioning I feel the movie would lose a lot of character and suspense.  The angles do form some sort of language or code, a certain mood is transferred while watching the movie.  I never noticed the redness before we talked about it in class, but going back and looking at the movie now, it is so noticeable.  Jack Nicholson was the perfect choice for his character, his facial expressions are dead on for every mood he is supposed to be portraying.  When I think about the spacial cinematography in this movie I think of really wide shots. The landscape where the hotel is and the magnitude of the hotel itself come to mind.  On the other hand, close up shots like the one of Jack putting his head through the door are ingrained in my mind.  Although the wife is a victim in this movie, I always feel so annoyed with her every time I view the film.  I cannot pinpoint exactly what makes me dislike her, but unfortunately I can't stand her.  One of the most interesting parts of the movie is the Gold Room, especially when you get to the end of the movie and see the photograph with a young jack standing in the center.  I find the movie very predictable, but the way it was shot creates a suspenseful mood that pulls me into the movie completely. When Danny and Jack are in the maze, the lighting obviously becomes more dark and sinister and you really get a cold, horrible, scary feeling as you watch the two work through the maze.

No comments: